Over the years the Cooper Gallery has received a number of generous bequests, including the below.
Sir Michael Ernest Sadler:
Michael Sadler, born in Barnsley in 1861, was appointed as Professor of History and Administration of Education at Manchester University in 1903. In 1911 he was appointed as Vice Chancellor of Leeds University and then became Master of University College Oxford in 1923.
An avid collector of art and an intuitive buyer, Michael Sadler’s first bequest to the Cooper Gallery was in 1923. A number of bequests followed throughout the 1930’s through the NACF with the most significant coming in 1932. Michael Sadler wrote a booklet called ‘Notes on a collection of English Drawings’ to accompany this significant bequest.
The Fox Family:
The Fox family were local brewery and hotel owners. Thomas Fox and his sisters added the Fox Wing extension to the Gallery in 1934 in memory of their parents James and Jane Fox and gave the Gallery its third bequest.
The Fox bequest included works by JV de Fleury, John Berney Ladbrooke and local artist Able Hold, including our most popular characters Peggy Airey and Watter Joe.
The Addy bequest:
Rowland Addy was born in South Heindly in 1892, he attended university before joining the war effort in 1914 where he was awarded the British Victory Star medal for his services in Egypt.
After the war Rowland Addy replaced his father as MD of the Carlton Main Colliery Company and in 1916 purchased Brierly Hall. When coal was nationalised in 1948 Addy retired to Scarborough.
The Addy bequest was left to the Cooper Gallery in 1978 by Rowland Addy’s wife Joan Nelson. This collection of oils and watercolours includes paintings by famous British artists such as JMW Turner and Thomas Girtin.